Friends of the Fort Ord Warhorse
Fort Ord was built in 1940 as a major West Coast horse installation. 1400 horses and mules of the 76th Field Artillery, as well as the 107th Cavalry and Quartermaster pack trains, were stationed at Fort Ord in the first years of World War II. Friends of the Fort Ord Warhorse keeps this history alive with living-history events at the Marina Equestrian Center (the 1941 former warhorse hospital) in the spring and on Veterans Day. The Friends are working for the preservation and protection of Army station veterinary hospital buildings and equestrian presence at and near the Marina Equestrian Center for living-history events and development of a living-history museum. Greenways and trails interconnecting the historical Marina Equestrian Center park area eastward with the Jerry Smith Corridor, National Monument, 11th Cavalry watering troughs, and Comanche’s gravesite, and westward with the coastal trail through Fort Ord Dunes State Park and nearby communities.• Portions of stable buildings on General Jim Moore Boulevard and further documentation of their existence and importance.